when life gives you chocolate dog poo, make applesauce

I am taking the day off of work today and am quickly realizing it will not be the day I had anticipated.

Bug is sick. Her first sickness and I am feeling guilty because, in thinking it was a minor cold, I drug her up a mountain yesterday afternoon. And now I can’t help but wonder if her insane seal bark cough is because I wanted to trek up Wood’s Gulch. Anyway, she is sleeping and when she wakes we will decide our day. The above pic is not from yesterday but an illustration of what we look like when we hike.

And the other reason my day is changing course? Well. I bought a giant five pound bag of candy for our trick-or-treaters and we cracked into the sugary goodness last night after dinner. And I made the mistake of leaving it out on the floor…

Alice helped herself to two and a half pounds of candy and wrappers. She doesn’t much care for the Three Musketeers. We found several lying all about the house.

So today I will be at the pediatrician’s office and monitoring Alice’s hopefully-shiny, wrapper-filled poo. Also planing to bake bread and make applesauce with this gorgeous box of Bitterroot macs.

With a Monday morning like this, I can’t wait to see what the rest of the week will bring.

12 Responses to when life gives you chocolate dog poo, make applesauce

  1. jen says:

    i’m not a fan of 3 musketeers either…i’m with alice on that one!

    sick babies…hold her. that’s what a mama is there for.

  2. Pam says:

    Holy crap (and I do mean that both figuratively and literally) sounds like you’ve got your hands full today!
    Please give both Bug & Alice extra kisses from the MAMily (we can’t bear the thought that our little Bug is under the weather).
    Bon chance!

  3. FinnyKnits says:

    Oooooooooooh Alice. No 3 Musketeers? Those are the best!

    Glad she didn’t love those as much. At least she has a limit somewhere.

  4. Susy says:

    Our dog loves candy corn. Poor sick baby, hopefully she’ll feel better soon.

  5. Patia says:

    Sounds like fun!

    NOT.

  6. Kelle says:

    laughing at that picture of alice’s paw pointing to what she did. and you think that’s bad…my cousin’s little boy’s first tooth got eaten by their saint bernard after he lost it. he was heartbroken, so she promised she’d find it. she waited all day until the dog pooed (and you know how st. bernards pooh), and dug through it with rubber gloves. …and FOUND IT!! mother of the frickin’ year!! so sorry you had a not-so-hot day! but your hiking picture rocks…you look beautiful and ready for winter!

  7. Anonymous says:

    it may be a moot point now, but chocolate has a toxin that isnt good for dogs, see link:

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

    hopefully your pooch will not have an issue.

    garry

  8. TRB Holt says:

    Alice….maybe you are now part Chocolate lab along with your other breeds! If this is the worst thing you ever do then you truly are “Alice the WONDERDOG”.

    Our little bug will be just fine, I do hate it so when babes are sick….your feel so helpless.

    Hang in there sweet mama….xoxo, Mom

    PS How’s the poo watch? :0}

  9. So, thanks for all your well wishes…bug is on the mend and Alice is pooing caramel and shiny wrappers.

    Garry, I do know about the badness of chocolate but we didn’t know she had eaten it until many hours later…too late to induce vomiting. So the poop patrol is our way of making sure she is working it all out. Seems to be doing ok. oy.

  10. Glad to hear that Bug is on the mend. Maybe your trek up the mountain actually helped her–and that’s why she’s coughing up the bad stuff now?

    I shouldn’t laugh at Alice’s antics… but I can’t help it! I SO know that feeling, when you first see the empty remains of whatever you left within dog reach and think, “Oh, no… she didn’t. I mean, I didn’t! Did I? Crap!” lol.

    Don’t worry too much about Alice and the chocolate, btw. Coco once at an entire “chocolate pudding bundt cake” from the grocery store overnight. I called the vet in a panic, and he said that the kind of chocolate in those fun-size candies, grocery store cakes, etc., doesn’t have enough of the right chocolate stuff to hurt a larger dog. What you have to put up and worry about for sure is the good baking chocolate, though…

  11. Renee says:

    Three Halloweens ago our very well-behaved greyhound, Howard, decided to eat about 20 Reese’s PB cups – the ones with the gold foil. He sniff through the whole bowl to eat each and every one, leaving all the Snicker’s. We under-estimated exactly how much he loves peanut butter. Lovely little gold sparkles in his poop for like a week and a half.

  12. Is anything better then WordPress for building a web presence for a small Business? you can even use your transfer bag has a cosmetic or toiletry bag on vacations http://www.vansarto.com/fashion-bags/you-can-even-use-your-transfer-bag-has-a-cosmetic-or-toiletry-bag-on-vacations