seeds and snow and such

I dug in the dirt last Sunday. Bug fell asleep on the way home from our ski trip and I scooped her out of the car, still in her full-body puffball suit, and placed her in her crib, walked around the corner, out the back door and into my garden. I was still in my long underwear, nearly-dreaded hair under a cute hat. I didn’t want to waste a minute.

It was warm on our backcountry trip, but clearly warmer in Missoula. As we pulled back into town I saw people with exposed skin, upright shovels and cats outstretched on the matted brown grass. I am actually a bit behind as I usually like to have my peas, greens and radish in the ground a few weeks ago. But, oh, life is busy.

I hacked at that earth. My first thought was, wow my soil is loamy luscious. My second thought was where the hell are the worms? Not many worms. Hopefully goat poo and compost will help. It’s also still kinda cold in there so maybe they are on a siesta way down deep.

Nary a garlic can be seen which bums me right out. I feel like I should see garlic, right?

And, I ordered my seeds from High Mowing Organic Seeds. I ordered with a bunch of pals which save cash money and resources used in shipping. I highly recommend it. I am taking a different approach to my seed selection this year: Instead seeking variety, I chose prolific producers, one kind and ordered lots of it. I am going for high quality varieties that throw down some roots and put on some fruit. I am certain I will be wooed by some exotic tomato or pepper at the farmer’s market this spring, but, for now this will feed my family this summer:

Detroit Dark Red Beets
Crimson Sprinter Tomato
Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato
Pruden’s Purple Tomato

And, not from High Mowing:
Mediterranean Arugula
Chesnok Red Garlic

My strawberries, rhubarb, oregano, parsley, thyme and chives are well-established and will produce a lot this year. Also plan to snag some raspberry bushes.

By the time March rolls in, I have forgotten what produce from my backyard tastes like and I feel frumpy, full of winter beer and potatoes. March is kindof an asshole. March gives hope and then steals it away just as quickly as it was given. I am so so ready for sun-warmed skin and feel like I will have it soon and then, after temperatures in the 60s last weekend, it snowed last night and was 15 degrees this morning. It’s a schizophrenic month and I don’t trust it. And, I married a pisces. I live on the *edge*.

In March, the dog poo thaws.

But April starts just next week and I will begin April in northern California where things like lemons and nasturtium are perennials and land on easter in Portland where the bulbs will be in bloom. Maybe I’ll even have some cute little garlic green when I get home. Yes, a real vacation that is more than a long weekend. My first one since before my bug emerged. For a best friend‘s wedding in California and just hanging about in Portland with family and friends. Art, wine, gab, runs, ocean. Most likely no blogging but I promise an epic post upon my return.

:: :: ::

And, sorry I am late here.
The winner is Tammi Salas (congrats!) who says these two things are rocking her world:

1. My mobile library and my fancy new library card; and 2. Mustard fields growing like mad in Sonoma County. Beautiful oceans of yellow & green as far as the eye can see down Highway One. Need a family photo smack dab in the middle of the field before it all disappears.

24 Responses to seeds and snow and such

1. Jean says:

Drat, no Bull’s Blood beets.

Poo to the poo shot. Nasty.

Love the shot of backyard with the chicken coop.

Hi, Margot!

yes, the poo was indeed my favorite as well. that and those big cottony flakes…she looks dreamy in that knit hoodie against the snow. but then she looks dreamy in the dog poo too. have so much fun on your trip…and take lots of pics!

I agree, March is a two-faced bitch….I had shorts on last weekend washing windows and couldn’t get my warm socks on quick enough this morning.

Your garden sounds deeeee-lish! I can’t wait to see it. Ah yes dog poo, too bad it is not a good substitute for goat poo and compost. If it was I could make a living selling it the Farmer’s Market!

I know you three will have a wonderful trip exploring the Pacific NW and the San Fran area, the wedding will be so much fun!

xoxo, Mom

4. Pam says:

“In March the dog poo thaws” it sounds so zen and a little bit haiku-ey – maybe that’s why I am laughing so hard.
    Ole: I know that your postcards are absolutely gorgeous – but you might want to consider a special one-off series of Zen Mom Moments (Zen MOMents?)starting with this very pic.
    Ya know, this would actually make a great title for a book – I can see it now: “After the break, Ann Curry will sit down with Nici to discuss her new book, “In March The Dog Poo Thaws” which is flying up the New York Times best sellers list even as we speak.”
    xoxoxo

5. Jean: I may have to sneak a few bull’s blood beets in there…the name alone kinda requires it.

Kelle: Promise lots of photos!

Ma: SO true about the dog shit compost. Dang.

Pam: I think you are on to something there. Oh, wow, it would be a grand tale where my life is measured by dog poo.

6. LeLo says:

March is a total asshole. Think about it though: it’s almost over.

As for marrying a Pisces, as a Pisces myself, I feel for you. We are specifically emotional in February and March and yearn for swimming in the lakes and rivers of Summer: and sunshine. Oy.

Portland? Did you say Portland? Check out Pistils on N. Mississippi for a sweet little nursery with chickens. :)

7. April says:

You’re right—March is kind of an asshole. Eating breakfast this morning we saw snow flurries and we can see snow on the nearby mountains. Grrr… Last night we sketched out the plan for the garden and I think we’re going to start germinating next weekend. Last year we didn’t get the garden in until June, so this is really early for us. Your bug is adorable.

8. The garden plans sounds fab! Can’t wait to see pics when it’s all green and growing.

Have fun on your trip!

Yes! Come to NorCal where it’s 70+ degrees and sunny! We’ve got a cocktail all mixed up for you ;)

10. Philigry says:

i know, i feel the same way about march…it is almost over!

11. Heidi says:

oh…have so much fun on your trip to cali. i know you deserve that vacation and ‘not just a long weekend.’

you do so much and that is just what i know from your blog. you are amazing. an earth mother.

schizophrenic month-love that.

poop on bug’s shoes and chickens are my fave pics.

enjoy the weather on your vacay and here’s to gettin’ some garlic green growin’upon your return.

I feel healthier just reading your garden list, especially because I ordered pizza for my son and me tonight. You are amazing. Maybe you get all the energy from the good food you grow?

It would be so great to find you in California this week. Let’s be spontaneous. You let me know how things are lining up and we’ll see what happens . . .Avi and I would love to meet you!

13. joan says:

The dog poo photo cracked up and sorta upset my stomach at the same time. I really hate dog shit. Margot’s hair looks so red and she is getting so much. I will miss her little peach fuzz head. French braids here we come. It looks like the chickens are out of their coop. True?

I am excited for your trip. Have a blast!! XOXOX

14. thanks for including me in the seed order! I am excited and a little nervous about this new garden adventure!

15. Judybusy says:

Such beautiful snow pictures! (But it can go away now.)

How can you plant things “weeks ago”? Isn’t the ground still frozen? Is it a different zone there than in Mpls? I don’t even think about putting things in the ground till mid-May!

Years ago, I just decided March is winter after getting slapped upside the head one too many times. Funny what happens when you lower your expectations!

btw, can anyone help me with logging in? It just doesn’t work and every time, I have go through creating a new identity (where I just use the SAME email and password) Thanks!

16. Renee says:

You will find giant cherry blossoms, heavy tulips, and iris peeking their greens above the dirt when you roll into Portland. The city is waking up for Spring and it is gorgeous, even when it’s pouring rain.

17. Jean says:

“Spring is a two-faced bitch!” I love that because it is so true.

if you were closer i would find a way to share my raspberry bushes with you.
    and hope you are having fun on your vacation!
    jeremy is widening the garden this year … yippee! … would you recommend the potato idea that you used last year?

19. Josie says:

im new to your blog but we call my daughter bug too and we have chickens. but no snow. ever.

boo rah hoo. come back already. i’m over your vacation. blogworld misses you. xoxo

21. vuejardin says:

Great pictures, I really enjoy your blog.

VueJardin