nuggets: day trip

nuggets: bits of the season in photos and words

At one time in my life, summer meant long weekends where I carefully packed all I’d need on my back into the woods. It meant late night outdoor concerts, summiting peaks, road trips that ended hours before my work week-alarm would sound.

It is probably a combination of have two small kids and a new house but, now? I hunker here, my home the trailhead, my neighborhood the summit, my deck the concert. I’ve always been a cocktail of homebody and socialite and this summer, I nestled my family’s days close to home. We didn’t do ‘much’ in the way of organized tripping or activity. And yet. And yet, adventure was high.

It’s all about the day trip, the small exploration. It can be squeezed into the tiniest window, there’s always room.

summer nuggets

:: gathering, bare skin

:: getting to know our patch of earth, dreaming of next year

I have received many garden questions and am planning a post soon. Also, I will update you on the future of Virgin Harvest! Do you have a gardening question? Ask in the comments here.

:: sunrise, coffee

:: river swims, rock studies

:: cooking with the harvest, both ours and that shared by friends

:: park visits, errand running

walking to daddy’s art talk at the Missoula Art Museum

:: the weird, the colorful. the fair.

:: walking up canyons, science class

this angle makes it appear that Ruby’s neck wasn’t supported. I assure you, it was!

:: sleeping on the deck, watching sky turn from blue to star-spangled

:: staying home, following boredom’s creativity

This summer, we experienced a lot in not doing much. I feel so appreciative to get intimate with the abundance in this place, our home. School starts next week and with it, a new structure to our weekly rhythm. Until then, a few more day trips.

ps In this week’s mama digs, I wrote about a bad choice I made and how I moved through it. Click to read mama digs: Space.

26 Responses to nuggets: day trip

1. mumofsix says:

Your pictures tell the perfect summer story.
    Adore the clothes and expressions of the girls in the errands shot. What characters they are!

2. Natalie T. says:

I fall in love with my husband all over again each time he paints our daughter’s toes. :)

3. ctb says:

so in love with that last picture! sisters!

4. Maria says:

There is really no place like home!
    What a beautiful, cozy post. Margot & Ruby have to be two of the most beautiful little girls I have ever seen. I love the pic of the two of them leaning on the truck..Margot’s boots & purse & Ruby’s hat..gorgeous! I cannot believe how tall Ruby is. She looks like such a big girl. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

5. Jess says:

Your girls look 15 and 13 in the van picture. The attitude is perfect!

Is it me or does Ruby look like she has grown a foot in that van picture? Wow, it seems like yesterday, I was curling up with my cup of coffee to read her birth story. Crazy! Your girls are precious! Your new home is beautiful. Just like your family

XO

7. Tina says:

Margot seems SO BIG in these pictures! Oh my goodness!

8. Melina says:

i love it. i absolutely love it! everything about this post, nici….its content, the way it was presented….i am struggling with wanting to do a ‘mass post’ about the summer with tons of photos and words, but something is getting in the way…i’m having a hard time. anyway, this lovely post is pure inspiration.

beautiful. life.

xo
    melina

9. Allison says:

that pic of your two lovelies leaning against the van….perfection!…made me laugh out loud. it says so much…
    allison x

10. Lovely, absolutely. Day trips are the best. Our days have been so FULL, just the way this summer panned out, I guess. Reading this post, on the other hand, is like sipping a glass of wine while slow-roasting homegrown tomatoes. Delicious.

11. Wow, I just absolutely love the last pic. I cannot get over how grown up Ruby looks. (Or that she’s now older than Margot was when I first started reading your blog! LOL!) But back to that pic… I swear you have a pic of you and Andy doing nearly that exact pose, on Andy’s back, which is so funny since I think Ruby looks just like you these days and Margot definitely looks more like Andy. :D

12. Jenn says:

There is something about your sister pics that I love so much. I think it’s because their relationship just shines through.

On a different note, I’m making a switch to vegan, and that dish in the beginning of your post looks really good!

Happy weekending!

OH what a wonderful album to view with my morning coffee! I will be back to comment on the beauty of it all…………xoxo!

14. such sweetness. and it looks like your littlest is catching up in size to her older sibling, something I’m very familiar with. xoxoxo and good luck with school starting.

15. ,,,oh the deer! so great that you captured her in the photo. i love it when we see deer running about in our neighborhood. “band in a box”; featuring margot on the guitar and ruby on harmonica. andy paints so beautifully i bet he could paint a whole landscape on ruby’s big toe. cheers!, to the end of summer and a new season peeking around the corner!,,,

16. Amy says:

Gardening question; Is that all lettuce that is being snipped with scissors? Do you always cut it off? I pull the whole head, root and all. Would snipping it promote re-growth? Is it perpetual? Maybe it’s not even lettuce??!

It seems to me that you had the perfect summer…I love the photo of Ruby getting her toes painted by daddy.

18. Martha says:

Boredom’s creativity is a wonderful sort of creativity…beautiful post.

19. Hazel says:

I’m exactly the same.
    Home is best at the moment.
    I read your posts and often share something with Rob. I call your daughters the Montana girls.
    Last night it was the two of them helping you in the garden. A little dream for our life one day.
    That photo of Margot leaning against a car, her profile and expression is you! That shouldn’t be a surprise but it was so striking in that photo.

Lastly I’ve read your Mama Digs piece, and we’ve all been there. But I guess with all the great stuff that comes with the internet and the digital age, there are some pitfalls.

20. Britta says:

That van picture – it was like a glimpse 10 years into the future. Oh, what a fantastic photo!

Thank you for sharing your beauty and joy.

21. I love stay-cations.

I love your new blue glasses. I”m sure that you’ve been dying to use them.

Gardening. Last year I had amazing success for my first year. This year. Not so. We dealt with near 100 degree temps for over a month. No rain for 8 weeks. Almost everything was a failure. Even my potatoes died back to nothing. I call it “landscaping in hell.” Literally.

So, my beet harvest has been meager for the past 2 years and I cannot get my pumpkins or patty pan squash to form even though the vines are blooming. I have a feeling they may need more sun. Or maybe the raised bed is affecting the beets. Seriously, I’m getting ready to figure it out and start from scratch next year if necessary. Any suggestions?

Thanks Nici.

22. Kristi says:

I. Love. These. Photos. LOVE!

23. tote you thought about with regards to the evening out.

24. That quilted leather-based case will be wonderful

25. Chanel Designer purse Evaluate

26. One particular intimate written information is without question implied, But direct Obtain an individual’s “Open-ended particular go out with unit card account” (Further from the system) Available so the recent anyone reservation activities will be able choice associated with “Those open days, Shielding the telephone during havoc and as well the start will probably be the Corning Gorilla wine a window 3 that helps keeping in mind harmless sound